Sunday, January 2, 2011

May I Gloat? (Rag Quilt and French Bread)

I loooove to be crafty. I am just like my sisters. We all love to just make things. Well, when I was at home, I found some old material in my boxes and I decided to make a quilt. Rather spontaneous, but two days later, this is what I have.
"I shall call him blanky and he shall be mine and he shall be my blanky"

For Sunday Break the Fast, my roommates and I made ham, potato, bacon, onion...chowder. I lost my recipe so we made it up :-) And, we made French Bread. It was SOOOO yummy and took only 1 hour from start to finish! YUM! (Recipe Below)



Fabulous French Bread
Time: 60-90 minutes
Yield: 2 large loaves

Mix until fully blended:
1 T shortening
1 T salt
2 T sugar

Microwave 1 cup water for 3 minutes to get boiling and then add to the blend shortening blend.

When the shortening is completed melted, add 1 C cold water

Then mix together and add:
1/3 C lukewarm water
1 T yeast (I use active dry)

Add flour until it is baby butt soft:
5 - 6 C white all purpose flour

Knead for about 5 minutes. Let the dough rise for 10-20 minutes (optional, but I do it)

Split the dough into 2 parts and place on a pam sprayed cookie sheet. Let this rise for 5 minutes.

Roll the dough out like you are going to make THICK cinnamon rolls, then roll it up into a long log and tuck the ends under. Place the two loaves on the sprayed cookie sheet. Then, slit the tops three times so it looks like French bread.

Crack and beat 1 egg and then wipe egg over the dough. This gives it the golden color.

Time to BAKE!
Preheat the Oven to 170'F. Put the bread in the oven for 15 minutes. (This is for additional rising).
Then, turn the oven up to 400'F (leave the bread in there while it is warming up). Bake for 15-20 minutes until the top is golden brown. Make sure to flip the cookie sheet around 1/2 way through baking so each loaf gets toasty :-)

Enjoy with butter and jam!!!

No comments: