Sunday, September 9, 2012

Dark Chocolate Pear and Pistachio Cake

Ok.  So, I know I don't have a great camera, but its really sad when my first 5 submissions to my FAVORITE website (foodgawker.com) were denied because of "awkward angles" and "poor lighting".  I know.  Its true.  I'm not denying it.  AND...to be fair, I go to foodgawker.com instead of allrecipes BECAUSE the beautiful pics make the food seem more appealing.  So, here is my pic and here is the professional pic.  Whatever the pic shows, this is DELICIOUS!!!! (P.S. Mine looks more chocolate-y because I crumbled the chocolate a little much, but DELISH!)  So, down to business.  I've been wanting to try this for a while and it was worth it!  Restaurant posh quality cake baby!  Enjoy!  Recipe and professional pic from Technicolor Kitchen.


Dark Chocolate Pear and Pistachio Cake


Preheat oven to 350'F and heavily butter a 9" spring form pan.

In a blender, mix for ~2-3 minutes until fluffy:
2/3 cup (150g) unsalted butter, softened
¾ cup (150g) granulated sugar
Add each egg one at a time:
3 eggs
Then add:
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

In a bowl, sift together then add to butter/egg mixture:
1 cup + 1 tablespoon flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
pinch of salt

Blend in a food processor and stir into batter:
1 cup dark chocolate
 ½ cup unsalted pistachios (shelled, obviously :-)

Stir in:
1 Packham pear, (cored, peeled, and chopped into small pieces)....(I think I used a Bartlett)

Pour batter into spring form pan and bake at 350'F for 35 minutes or until golden brown and toothpick comes out clean from the center.  When finished, place the pan on a wire rack for 15-20 minutes to cool so you can pop the cake out of the pan.  Cover with ganache (below *modified from original recipe) and ENJOY!!!!!

GANACHE!
Cook on low until it bubbles:
1 cup sugar
5 TBS. butter
1/3 c. milk

Add chocolate and once it melts add it to the top of the cake:
1 cup milk chocolate chips

1 comment:

Rachel // Maybe Matilda said...

Ohhhhh, that looks AMAZING! I've said it before and I'll say it again: I really miss living with you. Want to come be my roommates? :-)