Thursday, November 14, 2013

Apple Pie Cupcakes

I got this idea from a mixture of two recipes- Thank you to Inspired Taste and Joy the Baker!  This is the best Apple Pie filling I've ever used!  I think the secret is the Pink Lady Apples! 

Apple Pie Cupcakes
 
Takes ~1hour start to finish.  Makes 32 cupcakes.

PART I:  THE APPLES
Mix and let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.  This helps the natural juices come out!
3 Granny Smith Apples, peeled, cored, and diced
3 Pink Lady Apples, peeled, cored and diced
1 TBS lemon juice
1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp (heaping), nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt

STRAIN the apples:  After the 30 minutes, strain the excess juices and 2 TBS butter into a microwave safe bowl.  You don't have to mix the butter into the juices.  It will do this on its own.  Microwave on high for 6 minutes.

While you are microwaving the juice, add 1 TBS plus 1 tsp cornstarch to the strained apples.  Toss until you can't see the white from the starch.

SYRUP:  Pour the microwaved syrup over the apples and toss to coat.  (Note from Joy the Baker: "Do not be concerned if the liquid hardens on contact with the apples; it will dissolve during baking.")

PART II.  THE CRUST
While you let the apples sit for 30 minutes, prepare the muffin cups.  Flatten out each cinnamon roll and line in each muffin cup.  (Don't try and use a rolling pin...it doesn't work.)
4 cans Pillsbury refrigerated cinnamon rolls (*KEEP the icing for later!)
32 muffin cup liners (you WILL want these.  The sugary apple filling bubbles a little and your cupcakes will get stuck to the pan.)

PART III.  THE CRUMB TOPPING
You know the drill!  Mix together and prep for assembly!
4 TBS chilled butter
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup + 2 TBS brown sugar
1/2 cup walnuts

PART IV.  ASSEMBLY
Crust, apple filling, crumb topping, Bake at 400'F for 10-12 minutes.  Don't over cook them!

PART V.  THE SWEET STUFF ON TOP!
You can stick with whipped cream and caramel sundae syrup...or, you can create caramel cream cheese icing!  I just mixed all the pre-packaged icings from the Pillsbury cinnamon roll packages with caramel sundae syrup until it tasted good.  I put a lot in.  It actually probably turned out to be equal parts syrup to icing.  Yum!  Drizzle over the top and enjoy warm or cool. 


ENJOY!

1 comment:

Rachel // Maybe Matilda said...

Oh Ashley. I always miss you, but when you post things like this, it definitely intensifies ;-) COME BACK TO UTAH AND LIVE WITH ME AGAIN PLEASE.