I just recently finished reading Left To Tell by Immacule'e Ilibagiza. The is an amazing account of a young woman's progression towards God while buried in the hell that flooded
the streets of Rwanda in 1994. As a Tutsi, Immacule'e was forced to seek for refuge when the genocide broke out in early April. For three months, she hid with 7 other women in a small bathroom concealed by a wardrobe. Unable to have the comforts of a lying down, bathing, or eating real food, this young woman sought peace by reading the Bible and praying to God night and day. When she heard the call of her killers outside of the door, her faith in God's infinite love and mercy gave her the strength and motivation to continue fighting for her life. She prayed to know what she could do to prepare for her life that awaited her on the other side of that door. While cramped in that tiny bathroom, Immacule'e taught herself to read English which later led her to a job at the United Nations in New York City.I couldn't help but be overcome with a feeling of guilt as I read through her story. I am so blessed to live in a home with loving parents where my needs and wants are few. I catch myself so often complaining about the little things in life instead of thanking God for the mere fact that I can shower everyday, sleep outstretched, and be blessed with such amazing and honest family and friends. But guilt was only what I initially felt. I have read a countless number of books on the Rwandan Genocide in the past 4 years. This autobiography was exactly what I've been searching for. We hear so many stories of genocide and what exactly keeps us hooked? Our love of violence? Our lack of research options? Our need to come as close as we can to hell? No. We are all searching for it. I didn't even know I was searching for it until later. Later; when the peaceful reminder that God truly does love his children settled in. That even in the midst of genocide--a hell on earth--God hears and answers our prayers. He does spare us. He does save us. He does have impeccable timing. He is closer than we realize. The following scriptures come to mind:

the streets of Rwanda in 1994. As a Tutsi, Immacule'e was forced to seek for refuge when the genocide broke out in early April. For three months, she hid with 7 other women in a small bathroom concealed by a wardrobe. Unable to have the comforts of a lying down, bathing, or eating real food, this young woman sought peace by reading the Bible and praying to God night and day. When she heard the call of her killers outside of the door, her faith in God's infinite love and mercy gave her the strength and motivation to continue fighting for her life. She prayed to know what she could do to prepare for her life that awaited her on the other side of that door. While cramped in that tiny bathroom, Immacule'e taught herself to read English which later led her to a job at the United Nations in New York City.I couldn't help but be overcome with a feeling of guilt as I read through her story. I am so blessed to live in a home with loving parents where my needs and wants are few. I catch myself so often complaining about the little things in life instead of thanking God for the mere fact that I can shower everyday, sleep outstretched, and be blessed with such amazing and honest family and friends. But guilt was only what I initially felt. I have read a countless number of books on the Rwandan Genocide in the past 4 years. This autobiography was exactly what I've been searching for. We hear so many stories of genocide and what exactly keeps us hooked? Our love of violence? Our lack of research options? Our need to come as close as we can to hell? No. We are all searching for it. I didn't even know I was searching for it until later. Later; when the peaceful reminder that God truly does love his children settled in. That even in the midst of genocide--a hell on earth--God hears and answers our prayers. He does spare us. He does save us. He does have impeccable timing. He is closer than we realize. The following scriptures come to mind:
"Therefore, fear not, little flock; do good; let earth and hell combine against you, for if ye are built upon my rock, they cannot prevail."Verily, verily, I say until you that mine eyes are upon you. I am in your midst and ye cannot see me."(Doctrine and Covenants 6:34, 38:7)
./'./' "Dearest children, God is near you,Watching o’er you day and night,And delights to own and bless you,If you strive to do what’s right.He will bless you, He will bless you,If you put your trust in him." ./'./'
1 comment:
Wow, that book sounds amazing! I'll add it to my list. (I really have a list, I'm totally not just saying that.)
Post a Comment