Tuesday, May 25, 2010

La Caille

Most amazing evening of my life! We drove up to Sandy, UT to go to La Caille. Patrick has wanted to go for so long and we decided we should go together. You drive through the gate and onto a brick road lined with trees. I was in France!
As we drove along the brick pathway, there were bunnies and geese along the sides of the road. Then, up ahead, we saw a rainbow of green, blue, and purple feathers. There were peacocks all over the grounds. We arrived at the front door:
It was valet parking. As we walked in, they escorted us to our table. The walls of the cottage were covered in pictures and flowers. We sat at our table, next to a fireplace. There was a candle burning at our table.

...wow...there is no way to describe this and I am terrible with my words...that's why I blog about food :-) I have words for food. So, onto the food section!!!

The waitress welcomed us to La Caille and brought us a sample of duck with cucumber, complements of the chef. She then gave us the hors-d' ouevrus menu. I had no idea what to order (*with the exception of escargo...I did not want that :-) Patrick suggested the Pate D'Jour. (We decided that the best way to describe it was glorified spam--its pulverized liver). You spread it on a warm toasted baguette and top it with onions, capers, peppers, and a mustard sauce. It was exciting to try.

Then, we got the salad menu. I got the Butter Lettuce with Apples & Walnuts. It was half a head of butter lettuce, covered with a dijon sauce and surrounded by diced apples, walnuts, and raspberries. It was delicious!

Then.....it was time for the entree'. I was at a French restaurant. I was not going to get chicken or beef! I ordered the Caneton de la Saison. Duck. I was so excited!!! It was surrounded by raspberries and berry sauce. Patrick got the Carre d'Agneau. It is a rack of Lamb. The menu says "Could a million coyotes be wrong?" We tried a bite of each others. The Lamb was DELICIUOS!!! My duck was tasty too, but the Lamb was far better.

Time for dessert. French desserts are more subtle in sweetness, but fabulous! We tried the Trio--three desserts in one. The Chocolate Chantilly Cake, the Crême Brulee, and the Beignet Francaise. The Beignet (pronounced "ben-yay") was my favorite. It is this warm French sweet bread. It is pretty much a donut with a really moist center, covered in powder sugar, and you dip it in a vanilla custard. Oh YUM!

It took us two hours to eat---just the way the French would have it! We walked around the grounds afterward and watched the swans float on the glassy lake. The peacocks were everywhere and they were yelping "help, help"....or at least that's what it sounded like :-)

It was such a magical evening. I am so glad that I got to go with Patrick because I knew we were both having fun at such a fancy place. Oh, what a fun night!!!!

1 comment:

Hart Troop said...

you didn't make me wait....i was hoping that you would have something posted by this morning. it sounds like it was a wonderful evening! i am so glad that you got to go and with such a good friend. i wish that i was there with you....i was drooling over your descriptions. i sure love you!