Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Banana Muffins & Zucchini Bread (both made with Wheat Flour)

This is a catch-up entry for my lover-ly sister, Amy. This is for you babe! So, it is true~ You CAN make yummy food with wheat flour :-) That's all I had left, so I found some recipes, tweeked them, and put the wheat flour to good use! I made Banana Muffins and Zucchini bread. I LOVED the banana muffins-- let's be honest...muffins are just cake. So, I cannot make these anymore because I cannot justify cake for breakfast ;-) Delicious! Hope you enjoy~Banana Wheat Muffins with a Cinnamon Streusel Topping
Combine dry ingredients:
1 3/4 cup wheat flour
3/4 cup brown sugar (I use brown sugar to make it richer esp. when using wheat flour)
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon


Combine wet ingredients and fold into the dry ingredients. Don't over mix. (*Note from original recipe: The important thing is not to over mix the batter. You do not want it smooth. Over mixing the batter will yield tough, rubbery bread)
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
3 large ripe bananas, mashed well (about 1-1/2 cups)
1 tsp vanilla extract


Streusel Topping:
1 cup wheat flour
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 and 1/8 cup butter
1/2 TBS white sugar
1/8 tsp cinnamon


Pam spray your muffin tins. Preheat oven to 350'F and dish 1/4 cup of batter into each muffin tin. Top with the Streusel topping. Bake for 20-25 minutes on the middle rack of your oven. Makes 12 muffins.

Original Recipe: http://joyofbaking.com/breakfast/BananaMuffins.html


~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The Zucchini bread was good, but I just have never really gotten into Zucchini bread or Banana Bread. I don't know...but it was a good recipe.
Whole Wheat Zucchini Bread
Mix wet ingredients:
3 large eggs (whip until light and foamy)
then add:
1/2 cup olive oil
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract

then add:
3 cups shredded zucchini









Mix dry ingredients and add to the wet. (Again, don't over mix)
3 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp nutmeg
3 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice


Streusel Topping:
1 cup wheat flour
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 and 1/8 cup butter
1/2 TBS white sugar
1/8 tsp cinnamon


Mix together. Spray two large 9" loaf pans with pam spray, then line with parchment paper, then spray with pam spray again. Fill with the batter. Add Streusel topping. Bake at 350'F for 50-60 minutes. Let cool for 10 min before removing the bread using the parchment paper. Yum :-)

Original Recipe: http://adashofsass.com/2010/08/10/whole-wheat-zucchini-bread/

1 comment:

Adrian said...

Fun! You did not tell me you have a food blog. My mom was saying something about you wanting help photographing your food. If so, let me know next time you are cooking and I would love to help style and shoot it. I am always looking for people to cook for me. :)

- Adrian (Anna's sister)
http://adrianmarie.com - some of my work