I can't believe it. Can I gloat?!? I am SOOOO excited! I was sick today and running a fever, so, naturally, I really wanted chicken soup or chicken pot pie. So, I did it. I just made one. I didn't really have a recipe, but I browsed a bunch of pot pie recipes to see what the general process was. My ideas came generally from Teenie Cakes & Pretty Good Food blogs. So, of course, I have to blog about this success!!! I would have changed ONE big thing...I would have doubled or tripled the filling because there wasn't enough yumminess!!!!! So, here is the tripled recipe that I will use in the future: (P.S. It tasted way better than these pictures let on!)
Chicken Pot Pie
Melt and stir:
3 TBS butter
1/2 cup minced onions (or 1/3 white onion, chopped)
Add Seasonings to taste:
Salt & Pepper
2-3 tsp Thyme (or more)
3 shakes Tabasco sauce (YUM!...This doesn't make it hot....I just grew up with this flavor and really love it in everything!)
Add:
1 cup Flour (or more if needed) to thicken for a roux. Stir until thick.
3 TBS chicken bouillon base
1/2 - 3/4 cup sour cream
3-4 cups water (or until desired amount and thickness. *Remember, pot pie isn't gravy, it is thick :-))
Stir in:
8-9 chicken tender strips, boiled and chopped into chunks
3/4 of a 15 oz can of peas (or the whole can if you really like peas in your pot pie :-))
3/4 of a 15oz can of corn (or the whole can if you really like corn in your pot pie:-))
Pour filling into pie dish
Top with a pie crust (I used my Pie Crust Recipe from Baked Bree, but it only really required 1/3 of the dough for the top. Or, if you want to actually put the bottom of the pie crust down, you will use the whole recipe for a 9 inch single pie crust recipe. This recipe goes further than just a single crust. It is enough to put the bottom down and top with a thin, yummy, crispy top layer :-)
Bake at 375'F for about 30-40 minutes or until Golden brown on top :-) Delicious.
Enjoy!
No comments:
Post a Comment