Zack~
When I shared your story I had to fight back tears. Your thoughts meant a lot to me and I was glad that I could share them with others. Our discussion on the "value of life" was very interesting. The professor asked if someone came up to you and said your life will be over unless you pay me, how much would you pay them? We found it interesting when he changed the question and said, alright, now, I'm taking your classmate, and she will die unless you pay me, how much would you pay? In the end, people value others' lives more than their own.
That being said, I shared your story and said that the value on life is skewed in society. We value a celebrity for her voice but not a soldier for his life?! The professor was really impressed with your thoughts. We discussed why it is that society has memorialized Whitney Houston but doesn't seem to notice the death of a soldier. Our professor put it in harsh, but true, economic terms. It is simply because Whitney Houston's voice is a scarce resource that has been monopolized and marketed. So, our professor asked this question: Should the value of human life be determined by their earning potential or their contribution to society? It was a rhetorical question and left us all thinking.
In the end though, I was deeply impressed with the realization that I value one life more than any other and that life is the life of my Savior. He died without recognition in his time. He was born in lowly circumstances and died with thieves. I think the greatest lives often go unnoticed in the world, but they don't go unnoticed to God. He is our Father and we are of infinite worth to him. Our lives, our service, our love, our spirit is His. I wish the world would notice the true contributions of our soldiers, but, in the end, the true hero will have his treasure in heaven.
I love you tons and pray for you! -Ashley
2 comments:
I like your blog, found you through Skye.
Ahley what a wonderful insight about the value of our lives and that of our Savior.
Post a Comment