Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Mom's Rice Crispy Treats

If you have ever been privileged to taste these, you'll know what I mean when I say they are ADDICTIVE.  I'm pretty sure Ashton and I downed 10 yesterday...each.


Mom's Rice Crispy Treats

In a LARGE bowl, place:
10 cups rice crispies
1 1/2 c. peanut butter (stick in the center of the bowl in one clump. Don't try to mix yet)

Make a well in the peanut butter clump and stick vanilla inside:
1 tsp vanilla


In a saucepan over med-high heat, stir until this reaches a boil.  Then pour directly over the bowl of ingredients, melting the peanut butter clump:
1 cup light karo syrup
1 cup sugar

STIR STIR STIR until combined. Then, divide mixture onto 2 cookie sheets and flatten out.
For the TOPPING, you can either have chocolate or butterscotch.  My favorite is butterscotch!!!  

Over med-high heat, stir constantly to melt.  Then spread over top of 1 cookie sheet:
Chocolate topping (covers only 1 cookie sheet):
1 bag semi sweet chocolate chips
1 bag butterscotch chips

OR Butterscotch topping (covers only 1 cookie sheet):
2 bags butterscotch chips

You have to let these freeze for about 10 minutes before you can cut them.  Otherwise, they fall apart because they haven't hardened.  Your patience will pay off :-)  ENJOY!

2 comments:

Rachel // Maybe Matilda said...

You have no idea how much I've missed these since living with you and having you make them for me. I even tried a similar-looking recipe once and it just wasn't the same :-( I'm so happy to have the real one now!

Laura Day said...

OH THOSE ARE DIVINE!!! And so worth being addicted to:)