Thursday, June 7, 2012

Good Ole' BBQ!

So, I posted the recipe, but I didn't tell you what I thought of it.  I had to wait for the adrenaline rush of cooking to pass so that I could give an unbiased analysis :-)  The beef was spicy & tender.  The sauce on top and the coleslaw made for a unique and delicious sweet-spicy combo.  The eggs were freakin' fantastic...duh. :-) 

I haven' cooked BBQ in .... ever.  So, here's the menu (with a few adjustments to the original recipe.)
SLIDER LAYERING:
Bottom of bun, shredded beef, drizzle of sauce, slaw, close with other half of bun, ENJOY!


Texas Beef Council Shredded Beef Sliders
(30 minutes prep, cooks in crockpot for ~7/8 hours,  SERVES 8)
Heat in saucepan over med-high heat:
2 TBS vegetable oil

Season roast THEN add to pan and brown on all sides (DON'T cook it!  Turn it over when one side is brown....you only need it to be brown....not cooked.  Ok....)
3 pound chuck roast, trimmed of large pieces of fat
2 tsp kosher salt
2 tsp black pepper (recipe suggests freshly cracked--I just used regular)



DO NOT PUT THE ROAST IN YET.  In a Crockpot, just throw in:
2 medium yellow onions, peeled and quartered
5 tsp minced garlic (recipe suggests 6 cloves minced, but I just use the jarred stuff)
1 TBS diced jalapeno (recipe says quarter a jalapeno, but I just used the jar stuff b/c I had it on hand)
3 chipotle peppers in adobo, chopped (You find this on the Hispanic Food isle in a can.)
3 TBS light brown sugar
1 cinnamon stick
1 tsp celery seed
2 tsp cumin
2 1/2 tsp coriander (I used the seeds that I have previously ground up)
1 TBS paprika
1 TBS chili powder
3 strips bacon, cut in half (I just used the kind from Costco)

NOW PUT THE ROAST ON TOP OF THE STUFF IN THE CROCKPOT.  
Add broth to the saucepan to pick up the extra oil and any brown bits.  Add to crockpot:
2 cups beef broth  (I use 2 cups hot water & 2 tsp "better than bouillon- beef flavor")

COOK ON LOW 6 HOURS. 
Let sit for 2 hours in sauce after done cooking.  THEN SHRED.

WHILE BEEF IS COOLING IN SAUCE, MAKE SLAW:
Carrot Apple Slaw
Mix:
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper

Add to mixture AND REFRIGERATE AT LEAST 1 HOUR:
1/2 cabbage, finely shredded
3 large carrots, peeled cut into matchsticks
2 Granny Smith Apples, peeled, cored, and cut into matchsticks


For the sauce:
After the beef has cooked, grab liquid from crockpot and place in saucepan:
2 cups braising liquid from beef, strained

Add to the saucepan & bring to a simmer:
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1/3 cup ketchup
2 tsp dry mustard powder
1/2 tsp ground red pepper, optional

Cook until reduced by 1/3,  about twenty minutes.  The sauce will thicken into a nice BBQ sauce as it sits.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ashley's Dummy Deviled Eggs
Cut in half, lengthwise:
8 eggs, boiled and shelled

Remove yolks and place in small bowl. Mix yolks with:
1/4 c. mayonnaise (or enough to make it creamy)
1/4 tsp apple cider vinegar (or regular would work fine)
1/2-1 TBS DIJON mustard (this is the KEY)
pinch salt
dash pepper

I put the yolk mixture into a zip lock bag then cut the bottom corner of the bag.  This way, you can squeeze the yolk mixture into the egg white bowls like icing. :-)  Yum!
Refrigerate until ready to serve.

No comments: